The new Vari-N-Trio™ delivers variable density, polarization, and color enhancement to make the most of your images
Three essential filters in one provide more creative freedom: density is variable from 4 to 8 stops, polarization improves color saturation by controlling glare, and color enhancement subtly accentuates nature's colors
Density can be varied from 4 to 8 f-stops just by rotating the indicator from Min to Max
Polarization is controlled by rotating BOTH rings together, at any density setting
Color enhancement is always working to subtly intensify the colors in your scene
Allows you to use longer exposures to blur motion or flowing water, or other long-exposure effects
Permits use of larger apertures in bright light for more shallow depth-of-field effects
The built-in polarizer reduces glare from sky, water, wet surfaces, glass, and other reflective surfaces to improve color saturation and contrast
Can function like an "iris" for digital video cameras to control exposure
Available in 77mm only (Standard and Thin Ring mounts)
NOTE: Due to the nature of the Vari-N-Trio Filter, its "profile thickness" is significantly greater than most filters (17mm for standard mount, 14mm for thin mount). The profile thickness of either version may cause vignetting when used with wide-angle lenses, especially on cameras with full-frame sensors. Due to the vast number of combinations of cameras, lenses, and other factors, we can NOT predict under what circumstances vignetting will occur, and to what degree. We suggest simply adjusting your focal length, position, and/or composition to remove the vignetting -- use your digital camera's display for reference.
NOTE 2: The design of the Vari-N-Trio Filter may introduce irregularities when used with very wide angle lenses at higher densities, especially on full-frame cameras. Adjust your focal length and reduce the filter density setting until the irregularities disappear.
"I used my versatile new Vari-N-Trio from Singh-Ray to shoot this image of Elowah Falls in Oregon's Columbia River Gorge. This new filter not only gives me greater control of the exposure duration (for this shot it was 3.2 seconds at f/8 at ISO 100), but it also allows me to reduce the glare from the wet rocks and foliage and, at the same time, achieve more vibrant greens and earth tones--all at the moment the exposure is made. That means less of my time spent on post-processing. I love that!
"I also like the way the double-ring system lets me quickly adjust both density and the degree of polarization... and it's all there in a single filter."
The Vari-N-Trio combines the variable density of our Vari-ND, the control of our Warming Polarizer, and the chromatic lift of our Color Intensifier
Since we first introduced our versatile ColorCombo filter -- combining our LB Warming Polarizer with our unique LB Color Intensifier -- it's become one of our most popular filters. Many photographers simply leave it on their lens at all times because it's valuable in so many situations. Now, we've added the variable density capability of the groundbreaking Vari-ND to create the Vari-N-Trio.
The three components of the Vari-N-Trio function seamlessly together:
- Turning the front ring determines the polarizing effect, and the position of the diamond indicator against the Min/Max scale determines the amount of variable density.
- Mounting the Trio on your lens immediately adds 4 f-stops when set to Min. At this setting you still have enough light transmission to set the polarization and focus your image.
- The variable density is adjusted by positioning the indicator diamond on the back ring between the Min value (4 stops density) and the Max value (8 stops) as desired for your image. The markings in between are NOT calibrated f-stops, but are for field reference only. The density actually increases on a logarithmic scale, so the density increases more rapidly as the indicator moves closer to the Max point.
- For easier control of the polarizing effect, set the filter density to minimum, and turn BOTH rings together until the desired polarizing effect is found. Then, while holding the front ring in place, turn the back "indicator" ring to the desired density.
- The polarizer effect can be adjusted at any density setting by rotating BOTH rings together. With the filter set at a higher density, the effect may be hard to see through the viewfinder, so test frames may be necessary. By controlling glare and reflections, color saturation is improved, and white clouds can pop out of rich blue skies.
- The Color Intensifier is in effect at all times, adding a natural-looking brightness to your colors. Combined with the warming polarizer, you can achieve brilliant colors that still maintain a natural, realistic look. It's the secret weapon of many top outdoor photographers.
Several top photographers have been using the Vari-N-Trio in the field, and they like what they see! We will be sharing more sample images and details soon, here and on the Singh-Ray blog.
2721 SE Highway 31, Arcadia, FL 34266-7974 USA
For fastest response, telephone Singh-Ray at 800-486-5501 or 863-993-4100 during business hours, 9am to 5pm Eastern US time, Monday-Friday.
e-mail questions are answered by the next business day, but please allow up to 5 business days for response. .
Please include the MAKE and MODEL of camera and lenses you are using when you email us.
Please read our e-mail Policy.
All prices are in U.S. Dollars
Accessories are not included
All contents copyright 1997-2014 Singh-Ray Corporation. All rights reserved.
Singh-Ray Filters is a division of Singh-Ray Corp.
Singh-Ray, Singh-Ray Filters, Vari-ND, Gold-N-Blue, Vari-N-Duo, Vari-N-Trio,
LB ColorCombo,Hi-Lux, I-Ray, Soft-Ray, Mor-Slo and RayVu
are trademarks of Singh-Ray Corp.
Prices, product specifications, and availability are subject to change without notice.
Singh-Ray merchandise is warranted against manufacturing defects for 90 days from the date you receive it. Our liability is limited to either the repair or replacement of our product, at our option. In no event shall Singh-Ray Corp. or its agents be liable for any direct or indirect damages or losses resulting from use of our merchandise.